Well I did too.
Yesterday marked the 137th Kentucky Derby!! I wish, I wish with all my might that I was there but it looks like I will have to wait till the 138th Derby.
Whether you were there or not, this is the weekend to celebrate the Southern classic. To get in the derby spirit, I invite you to whip up a classic Mint Julep. The up side? This mint julep, unlike the official mint julep at the event, does not have a $1000 price tag. Whew!
Here is the official recipe from Southern Living and AllRecipes.com (don't worry, I tested it):
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Mint Simple Syrup
- Crushed ice
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) bourbon
- 1 (4-inch) cocktail straw or coffee stirrer
- 1 fresh mint sprig
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Place mint leaves and Mint Simple Syrup in a chilled julep cup. Gently press leaves against cup with back of spoon to release flavors. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice. Insert straw, place mint sprig directly next to straw, and serve immediately. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Bourbon.
- Now put on your big floppy derby hat and cheers to Animal Kingdom's victory!