Sunday, May 8, 2011

FOOD :: The drink of the South :: Mint Julep

Missed the Kentucky Derby?

Well I did too.

Yesterday marked the 137th Kentucky Derby!! I wish, I wish with all my might that I was there but it looks like I will have to wait till the 138th Derby.

Whether you were there or not, this is the weekend to celebrate the Southern classic. To get in the derby spirit, I invite you to whip up a classic Mint Julep. The up side? This mint julep, unlike the official mint julep at the event, does not have a $1000 price tag. Whew!

Here is the official recipe from Southern Living and AllRecipes.com (don't worry, I tested it):

{Image courtesy of Southern Weddings, photographed by Tracy Turpen}


  • Ingredients:
  • fresh mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Mint Simple Syrup
  • Crushed ice
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) bourbon
  • (4-inch) cocktail straw or coffee stirrer
  • fresh mint sprig
  • Powdered sugar (optional)

Preparation

  • Place mint leaves and Mint Simple Syrup in a chilled julep cup. Gently press leaves against cup with back of spoon to release flavors. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice. Insert straw, place mint sprig directly next to straw, and serve immediately. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
  • Note: For testing purposes only, we used Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Bourbon.

  • Now put on your big floppy derby hat and cheers to Animal Kingdom's victory!
  • ~Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Entertaining Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory